Friday, July 13, 2012

Celebrate

There are a few things to celebrate around here, the first being the break in the heat.  We are back to our normal temps and even in the low 80s today, which is a real treat.  I have taken the day off to plant the fall garden.  Carrots, beets, spinach, leeks, etc etc.  I am also going to try fall potatoes, though I have few hopes of realizing significant harvests.  So worth a try though as home grown potatoes are one of my favorites.  It has been incredibly dry here, so I am not sure what kind of luck we will have on anything.

We are also celebrating that the cat has not died yet.  In fact, he is looking remarkably well for being on Death's door for several days.  It appears he will live to cost me another $700 at some point in the future.  Woo hoo.

All of our February ducks are laying eggs now.  Not every day, but we do have 5 egger days which is super.  It means we will now be able to start selling eggs again and the ducks can pay for their own damn feed.  We'll cross our fingers and hope that the recent string of losses is at an end and we can have a relatively quiet rest of the year despite what appears to be an explosion in the fox population.

And finally, I am celebrating my 300th post here on the blog.  Yay blog. 

And I leave you with a photo of the rather large snapper who drowned our duck. (Ooh, another reason to celebrate!  A photo!)  This is my hand.  Not a giant hand, but an adult hand.  And that is the turtle.  He is big, no?  He is in one of those galvanized washtubs.  The kind of tub I prefer to load full of ice and beer rather than killer turtles.  Maybe that will come later in the summer.


No comments: